Monday, September 29, 2014

Irrational Elitism

Random WPI flashback: first two years of SFS having to keep my distance since the folks in charge were cliquish and not friendly. (They did everything in their power to make sure new people did not feel welcome, causing an off-shoot of folks who were sick of their bad attitudes.) Third and fourth year were great - new folks in charge with an approach of "Welcome everyone! You are awesome!" It's no wonder that the SFS atrophied a ton in those 2 years, but came back to health once the yucky ones were gone.

That experience is one of my driving influences today when I work cons and as a teacher advising clubs. Experiencing that irrational elitism those two years gave me a good grasp of how not to treat others in an organization, especially when you want that group to grow and prosper. My success with running high school anime clubs can be traced back to that lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment