Monday, January 19, 2015

Drinking

It's telling when I inform people I don't consume very much alcohol and they act like I'm odd. I've found that people who both drink a lot and look askew at people who do not share their habit tend to be the ones with a lot of issues - the bad kind. This can manifest as them saying they don't trust people who don't drink, as treating those who prefer not to drink as social pariahs, or just generally pressuring those around them to adopt their bad habit.

Folks who drink to enjoy drinking won't take offense or think less of those who prefer not to indulge. I've known folks who enjoy alcohol as I enjoy food and I understand the joy they get from trying a new microbrew or cocktail. I've never had a bad run-in with adventurous drinkers. The people who drink to run away are the ones to watch out for. I have a suspicion that this latter category is depressingly common, since I have known more in this category than the former.

No comments:

Post a Comment