Monday, December 19, 2016

Forum Memories

Many years ago, I was on an Internet forum. I was very active on it, even got promoted to moderator. I was one of the popular members, who everyone knew and liked discussing things with.

But, as time went on, I had arguments with the owner and others. I was one who liked to argue and discuss matters, while they preferred to leave their sacred cows untouched and unchallenged. There was a falling out. Eventually I was banned. (Along with several other very popular members with similar attitudes.)

There was outcry. The defense was, "Hey, it's his forum, he can do what he wants with it." True! That was the case. If he didn't want me or others on his forum, he could indeed ban us for any reason he chose. And he chose to give none, just a dismissal.

Shortly thereafter, the forum died of attrition as the average poster decided they didn't want to hang around a place where people were banned arbitrarily with no explanations. They left, moving on to other forums. Today, that place isn't even online anymore, dead to the world. His legacy is a dead website and shattered social network.

Moral of the story: Just because you can do what you want with what you own, doesn't mean you should. Bad choices can kill off the very thing you're trying to preserve.

No comments:

Post a Comment