Monday, January 15, 2018

Once Upon a Time Reactions Part 10: Season 7 Eps 1-3

Season 7! A whole new world, er, book! This one brought with it a lot of changes to the show (notably, the cast) and many long time fans, including myself, were pretty wary. Here's what I thought as the season began. Spoilers!

--

And it starts with a curse and amnesia. OF COURSE IT DOES.

I get that they're making Henry Mills to mirror Emma Swan from season 1, but it's kind of boring.

I like the new actor for Henry. He is a better actor than his predecessor. (Probably a controversial view.)

Why did they choose Cinderella? They already did Cinderella. And not just in season 1 - they further brought her back in season 6. It's not fresh. They teased Moana last season. Why can't we have that?

Alice? Okay, that has my interest piqued. I would've greatly preferred they make her the main focus.

I like the actress they picked for the evil stepmother. Loved her as Fiona in Burn Notice.

Henry's family died in a fire? Harsh. Something tells me there might be a twist there.

This show plays fast and loose with "realms." I really don't think passing to alternate timelines should be quite as easy as it is. That just strikes me as a much bigger leap than going to a different location related to the same timeline (Oz, Wonderland).

Rumple is a dirty cop? Okay...

Now I want a Rumple-Hook buddy cop comedy where they just cruise around Seattle getting into wacky hijinks. That would have been a pretty great show.

--

Second episode is much better than the first.

I do like that the writers are teasing us with what exactly Henry knows and doesn't know. He's acting like it's all in a book. Is that true? Or does he know everything?

The line in episode one where he jokes about calling Roni "mom" could have a very deep meaning.

"You fight like your grandfather." Which one? Obviously they mean Charming, but Rumple isn't half bad at swords, either.

I like the call back to last season with drunken Hook. And I just noticed that wish-realm Hook is basically Jack Sparrow. Ha.

Kudos for giving Hook and Emma a good conclusion to their story. I was worried when they cast Hook again.

I was not expecting Roni to actually be main universe Regina. I thought everyone we met would be an AU of themselves.

Who invites their mom along on an adventure? Seriously.

Current theory: Henry married the AU Cinderella and had Lucy. They died. So he ran away to yet another alternate reality. This Cinderella and Lucy are ghosts of who he lost. That'd be more interesting than "the curse made him forget." Also, have him be the one who did the curse, with Hook and Regina caught up by accident.

I'm also deeply troubled by Rumple's presence. Is he an AU Dark One? There was a Rumpelstiltskin in the wish realm, as well. That could be him. I really hope that's the case and the writers don't royally screw up Rumple and Belle AGAIN. Arrrrgh.

First ep left me meh. This episode actually raises some interesting possible twists. I just hope the writers are brave enough to pick some and give us something unexpected, rather than phone it in.

--

Third episode! More world building and intrigue. This is a good thing.

The roommate is Tiana! Yay! It's about time they brought in Princess and the Frog. Where's Moana, though?

It's amazing how Seattle's underground looks just like mines in Maine. Yeah. (Pretty obvious budget saving move there.)

Wait, Anastasia? Guys, that's Don Bluth, not Disney. Did they forget this?

Henry's wife and kid existed and they're dead. This does support the idea this could be yet another AU - a third reality he escaped to after they were gone. Or, at least, I'm hoping he's the one who did the curse this time in response to his grief.

The Stepmother has someone powerful under her spell. I wonder who it is?

Still no explanation of how Rumple got caught in all this. Really hope the writers don't screw with Belle to get him here.

No comments:

Post a Comment