Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Words To Use

Some words I want to use more in my writing:

Syzygy

Roughly means "alignment." I can probably use this whenever I want to describe things falling into place, such as a plan or an idea.

Recherche

When dealing with the Victorian era, it's good to have several words to mean opulent or refined.

Tallywhacker

Just a funny word.

Mind Palace

Sherlock has helped popularize the concept, but it's much older than that. I wonder how many other ways there are to portray this mnemonic trick?

Bildungsroman

A coming of age story. This actually captures the essence of many magical girl stories and young adult protagonist anime shows very accurately.

Pablum

A good way to insult someone's tripe. Bromide is the one I tend to use the most, but in a similar fashion.

No comments:

Post a Comment