Thursday, April 17, 2014

Introduction to Tephra

A key focus of this blog will be my work on Tephra: The Steampunk RPG. I'm one of the main developers for Cracked Monocle, part of the team tasked with generating materials related to the game's setting (nations, cities, etc.). Official projects I'm currently working on:
  1. Izeda: The Desert Crucible
  2. Evangless: The Gates of Heaven
  3. Junkyard Wars
Because of NDA clauses, I won't reveal very much on any of these in terms of specific content. Don't expect to see me posting drafts of lore or systems elements here. I will mainly talk about research related to working on them or realizations I've had about the Tephra system that came from work on them. Post-release, I will post commentary and facts about what went into each of them.

However, there are a number of side projects I can be more open about, as their development is much more long term. As a result, things made for them are not close to final form and can be discussed more openly. I'll refrain from posting actual system content, but thoughts on lore, ideas for characters, and reactions to research being conducted can all go up.

One of the main side projects I've been working on steadily for the last year is Daizhong. It's the East Asian steampunk setting for Tephra. As a result, I've put a lot of time into researching a broad array of topics for it, such as how Asian culture is presented in table-top games, the history of science in East Asia, as well as general research on steampunk itself. Many of my posts will be related to Daizhong, focusing on my discoveries and thought processes as I slowly assemble what I need to bring it to fruition.

A second side project is Metamathics (working title only, of course, which is why this blog is named for it). It focuses on bringing the mathematical revolution of the late 1800's into the realm of steampunk gaming. A third is Psychodynamics (working title), which focuses on the developments of psychology and the mind from that period. No steampunk game to date has successfully captured either of these elements and it's my hope Tephra will be the first. A fourth project is to adapt Tephra to a LARP format; there's a lot of demand for a good steampunk LARP here in Texas. I'll discuss my thoughts on translating a table-top game to a LARP system and my prior experiences with LARP's.

I have other, smaller ideas, things that likely won't be published in any form, but may suggest future avenues of exploration. Additionally, there are always the amusing anecdotes and quotes that come from a good night's worth of gaming!

No comments:

Post a Comment