Monday, May 26, 2014

Recursive Inigo Montoya's

Name a character: "Hello. My Name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die." It'd be funny since his name isn't Inigo Montoya. In fact, to make the sentence true, you'd have to replace "Inigo Montoya" with the phrase "Hello. My Name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die." This makes it:

"Hello. My Name is
"Hello. My Name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."
You killed my father. Prepare to die."

However, the new phrase is still incorrect, so you have to insert it again:

"Hello. My Name is
"Hello. My Name is
"Hello. My Name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."
You killed my father. Prepare to die."
You killed my father. Prepare to die."

But that still isn't right! Eventually it becomes a long series of "Hello. My name is" over and over again for infinity, followed by an infinitely long string of "You killed my father. Prepare to die." But you never get to hear that part.

No comments:

Post a Comment