Monday, March 9, 2015

Dealing with Negativity

If someone is always negative, the best solution is to simply not give too much weight to their POV. It keeps you from being offended. Often their constant negativity stems from some issue they have with themselves rather than you.

For example, I've worked alongside a couple people who, no matter how good I do, will always find something wrong with my performance and make a big deal about it. Sometimes they have a point, most times it's a big deal over nothing. They do this to other people they work with, as well. So I take the useful feedback and let the rest wash over me, knowing they are simply a fundamentally unhappy person and I should avoid letting their depressive mindset creep into mine.

I will also poke back with jokes, which I also recommend. Fun ones include, "I wasn't expecting a kind of Spanish Inquisition!" and "In a sea of smiles, your frown is like a little boat. Keep sailing." Comparisons to Grumpy Cat are also good. A lot of times, the person doesn't even realize they've slipped into an overly negative mode, so jokes are a gentle way of snapping them out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment