Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Once Upon a Time Reactions Part 1

I've had a lot of friends try and get me to watch Once Upon a Time. So I finally did. All aboard the fandom train.

Season 1:

I'm digging the kid who's genre savvy and familiar with Campbell's Monomyth. I also like that quite a few actors I like from other shows (House, Breaking Bad, Stargate Universe, etc.) are in this series.

Wait a minute. A girl named Ruby who wears red and is an analogue for Red Riding Hood? Where have I seen this before?

It's starting to tick me off that no one knows how to negotiate with Rumpelstiltskin. He's using lawful evil contracts, people! Bargain for better terms! Or try to get clever with the clauses! Yeesh.

As expected I would, Robert Carlyle is becoming the reason to keep watching Once Upon a Time. I really liked his performance in Stargate Universe and Full Monty, as well as several other roles I've seen him in. So put him in the awesome column for the show.

I'm also very fond of the fairy tale world flashbacks. Non-linear time jumping with an interconnected world and fun twisty mythos? Yay!

In the less awesome column: the modern day Snow White subplot. Ugh. I kind of tune out when they're focusing on that.

How many different ways are they going to use wolves in this show? They just stacked Riding Hood with Peter and the Wolf, with a hint of Three Little Pigs to boot. I'm half expecting Rose Tyler or the Moment to pop in for a crossover.

"Once she starts down that path you'll never get her back!"

Someone was channeling Star Wars here. "Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny."

Ah, finally. We get some expansion beyond the Grimm Tales. Lewis Carroll is a personal fave, too. I wonder if they'll ever start integrating some of the newly documented old fairy tales the Grimm's didn't use?

No comments:

Post a Comment