Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Once Upon a Time Reactions Part 4

With the Peter Pan arc done, the second half of season 3 begins. I was disappointed we didn't get Elphaba.

Season 3 Part 2:

Emma's love life is the weirdest thing. First Rumplestiltskin's kid, then a pirate, and then a flying monkey. The writers love to jerk her around.

Hook's warming up to me now. He's the character who had the best time in the Pan arc and has gone from really annoying to a proper lovable ruffian figure. (I like the lovable ruffian archetype - that the writers weren't doing it right with him at first is what annoyed me. His early dialogue and actions were all too emo.) Now I want to see him and Jack Sparrow vie for control of the Jolly Roger.

I'm seeing Henry's actor hit puberty. Yeah, his expressiveness has hit a nadir.

Yay! Elphaba! The Wicked Witch is a fun villain. I wonder what twist they'll put to her. I'm hoping there's a Quidditch style mid-air battle between her and Regina.

"We were cell mates."
"What were you in for?"
"...Banditry."

It's little dialogue touches like this that make me like this show. I realize now the Pan arc was sorely missing that. That's why it didn't feel as fun.

Yay for Robin Hood being a regular part. I wonder if Mulan, Aurora, and Philip will join in.

Silver slippers! Points to OUAT for getting it right.

"Not my Miata!" Doc is the Cabbage Cart guy of OUAT.

Courage. Heart. So who's brain? I hope it's Frankenstein's. That'd be hilarious. (Of course it's Rumple's.)

Robin Hood's kid is adorable. Seeing him carrying sticks was cute.

I think one reason the 2nd half of OUAT's season 3 is somewhat more enjoyable is Belle gets a bigger role. There's still the lack of comedy, though. Charming teaching Henry how to drive was fun, as is the flirting between Robin and Regina, but there's not enough.

I have the feeling that the fairy tale book's author in OUAT is going to be a major player. Either in a good or bad way. Even worse? The EDITOR.

Guns work on flying monkeys! Finally, something Emma can shoot.

Charming's over handed sword throw looks stupid every time he does it, though.

Ha. Zelena is using a transmutation circle to get her mother back.

I think I know one of the issues with season 3 part 2: too much curb stomp on the part of the Wicked Witch. She just waves her hand and walks through them. It ruins any sense of tension and begs the question why she doesn't just permanently end the heroes in her way.

Rumplestiltskin doesn't give rings. He gives knives. Most squee worthy marriage proposal ever.

Oh boy! Time travel! So is it Doctor Who "fixed points in time" type or Back to the Future "my mom is in love with me" type? Hook speaking sense about time travel is hilarious. I guess Emma took her stupid pills on this one.

Rumple's ability to help Emma and Hook handle time travel reinforces my idea that he's the Anti-Doctor.

Princess Leia? LEIA? Really? Wow. That made me laugh. Better than a Princess Di reference, at least.

This time travel episode is much better than large swaths of season 3. Levity, tension, and good pacing. It looks like the good episodes come toward the end of their respective arcs now. It's getting there that's a pain.

OH. The URN. Geez, Hook, this is why you don't play with the shiny things when you're in the VAULT OF SCARY MAGIC.

Season 3 was definitely a drop in quality over season 1 and 2. The second half was better, but overall there were only 3-4 good episodes, really. At least it ended well.

Season 4 of OUAT, START! Yay for Elsa~

No comments:

Post a Comment